There's a lot of talk these days about gut health, and for a good reason! The digestive tract is home to trillions of bacteria - collectively known as the microbiome - that play a vital role in your overall health. A healthy microbiome is key for everything, from maintaining a healthy weight, to keeping your immune system strong, and even regulating your energy, mood, and hormones! In other words, look after your gut and it will look after you.
So if you're looking to boost your gut health, here are 5 tips to get started!
- Eat probiotic-rich foods. Foods such as yogurt, kefir, kombucha, miso, kimchi, and sauerkraut are rich in Probiotics and a good source of healthy bacteria that can help to improve the gut microbiome. These good bacteria do wonders to our gut health and help to restore balance to the gut microbiome, improve digestion, and can protect against infection.
- Eat fibre-rich foods. Fibre helps keep the gut healthy by promoting regularity and providing food for the beneficial bacteria in the gut microbiome. How much fibre do you need a day? Australian dietary guidelines recommend aiming for 25g/day for women and 35g/day for men. Some great sources include fruits and veggies, lentils, beans, chickpeas, and seeds. Trust us when we say it's the no.1 key and secret to good gut health!
- Drink plenty of fluids. Drinking adequate amounts of fluids helps keep things moving through the digestive system and prevents constipation. Water is best, but tea and coffee can also count toward your daily fluid intake.
- Eat your skins and peels! The skins and peels of fruit & veggies are loaded with polyphenols (aka a type of antioxidant) that have HUGE health benefits. Polyphenols act as free radical scavengers, which means they go around your body to disarm harmful toxins, bacteria, and inflammatory compounds. The result? They help to reduce and keep inflammation at bay and ensure your gut flora stays in balance. Want some other sources of polyphenols? Try green tea, spices, cacao, nuts and seeds!
- Reduce stress levels. Stress can wreak havoc on the gut microbiome and lead to problems like constipation, diarrhea, and leaky gut! Finding ways to reduce stress in your life can help keep your gut healthy, and help you from burning out! Try going for a gentle walk, pat a dog, and laugh with friends. Do something that makes you happy!
So there you have it! Five easy ways to boost your gut health. These are just a few of the many ways that you can improve your digestion and overall well-being. For more information on how to keep your gut healthy, check out our learn more page and subscribe to our newsletter!