Achieving optimal gut health is a pivotal part of our overall well-being. Digestive discomfort can cast a shadow on our daily lives, but there's a potential solution on the horizon: Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum (PHGG). In this article, we'll delve into the science behind PHGG, its notable benefits for gut health, and its role in addressing digestive discomfort, including bloating and IBS.
What is Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum?
Don't let the intricate name fool you – Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum, otherwise known as PHGG boasts remarkable benefits for your gut health. Derived from guar beans, this soluble dietary fibre undergoes a specialised process that enhances its digestibility compared to regular guar gum. Unlike its counterpart, which might cause digestive discomfort, PHGG is recognized for being gentle on the digestive system and holds an array of health benefits.
Benefits of PHGG For Gut Health
Improved IBS symptoms:PHGG has shown promising results in improving IBS symptoms, particularly bloating, gas, constipation, and diarrhea. By feeding beneficial bacteria like Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus, PHGG promotes the production of butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid with potent anti-inflammatory properties. This helps to reduce inflammation in the gut, which is a key factor in IBS symptoms.
Promotes Beneficial Bacteria: PHGG acts as a prebiotic, which means it feeds the good bacteria in your gut. These beneficial bacteria, especially butyrate-producing bacteria such as Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus, play a crucial role in maintaining gut health, digestion, and immune function. Butyrate produced by these bacteria has potent anti-inflammatory properties, further supporting digestive health
Reduces Bloating: PHGG can significantly reduce bloating, a common symptom of digestive discomfort. This benefit comes from several factors:
- Promotes butyrate production: As mentioned earlier, PHGG feeds beneficial bacteria like Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus, leading to increased production of butyrate. Butyrate has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation in the gut, a key contributor to bloating.
- Regulates gas production: PHGG's ability to improve digestion and gut health helps to regulate gas production, preventing excessive gas buildup and bloating.
- Absorbs water: PHGG absorbs water and forms a gel-like substance in the gut. This gel helps to trap gas bubbles, preventing them from expanding and causing bloating.
Improves Constipation: PHGG's ability to absorb water and increase stool bulk helps to regulate bowel movements and relieve constipation. The gel-like substance formed by PHGG in the gut softens stool, making it easier to pass and preventing straining. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals with constipation-predominant IBS.
What The Science Says
Over 170 studies have been conducted on PHGG, demonstrating its effectiveness in improving gut health. In one particular study, published in the Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, researchers found that PHGG significantly improved symptoms of IBS, including abdominal pain, bloating, and diarrhea. Additionally, PHGG was shown to increase levels of beneficial gut bacteria and reduce inflammation.
Who Should Take PHGG?
If you're experiencing any of the following digestive issues, PHGG may be a great option for you:
Why PHGG is Is Superior to Other Fibre Supplements
Unlike other fiber supplements, PHGG offers several unique advantages:
- Soluble fibre: PHGG is a soluble fibre, meaning it dissolves in water and forms a gel-like substance in the gut. This gel helps to slow down digestion and improve nutrient absorption.
- No gut discomfort: Unlike some other fibres that can cause bloating and gas, PHGG is generally well-tolerated and does not cause digestive discomfort.
- Tasteless and odorless: PHGG has no taste or odor, making it easy to add to your diet without affecting the flavour of your food or drinks.
- Completely dissolves: PHGG fully dissolves in liquids, making it ideal for people who have difficulty swallowing pills or capsules.
PHGG is a powerful prebiotic that offers a wealth of benefits for gut health and overall well-being. By promoting beneficial bacteria, reducing inflammation, and improving digestion, PHGG can contribute to a healthier gut, improved IBS symptoms, reduced bloating, and a more balanced system. It's a natural and safe option for people experiencing various digestive issues, offering a gentle yet effective way to support gut health and improve overall well-being.
- Abe, A., Morishima, S., Kapoor, M. P., Inoue, R., Tsukahara, T., Naito, Y., & Ozeki, M. (2023). Partially hydrolyzed guar gum is associated with improvement in gut health, sleep, and motivation among healthy subjects. Journal of clinical biochemistry and nutrition, 72(2), 189–197. https://doi.org/10.3164/jcbn.22-75
- Giannini EG, Mansi C, Dulbecco P, et al. Role of partially hydrolyzed guar gum in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12(12):1925-1930. doi:10.3748/wjg.v12.i12.1925
- Reider, S. J., Moosmang, S., Tragust, J., Trgovec-Greif, L., Tragust, S., Perschy, L., Przysiecki, N., et al. (2020). Prebiotic Effects of Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum on the Composition and Function of the Human Microbiota—Results from the PAGODA Trial. Nutrients, 12(5), 1257. MDPI AG. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/nu12051257